Residential Energy Efficiency Financing Program
Save Energy and Money by Improving Your Home's Energy Efficiency - Finance at 0% - 6.99%
Making your home more weather tight with improved insulation, windows, upgrading to ENERGY STAR® heating and cooling systems, improving the efficiency of your hot water equipment - all of these improvements and more will assist you to reduce your energy consumption and can lower your utility bills.
CHIF can help you finance these improvements with low interest loans made possible through sponsorship by the Connecticut Energy Efficiency Fund in partnership with the Connecticut Light and Power Company (CL&P), the United Illuminating Company (UI), Yankee Gas Services Company, Southern Connecticut Gas Corporation, and Connecticut Natural Gas Company.
Loans may be for $1,000 to $25,000 and funding will be used for conducting qualified improvements/equipment replacements. Non-listed work directly related and necesary to the installation of the listed qualifying measures may be financed along with the qualifying measure at the applicable interest rate - (capped at 20% of the total loan amount).
Effective June 1, 2013 For United Illuminating customers only:
SPECIAL OFFER until June 30, 2014--0% Energy Efficiency Payment Plan for any "Type 1" qualified improvement. Loans of $1,000 to $3,000 with a maximum loan term of 36 months are available to install any "Type 1" measure. Rebates may also be available. Click here to apply online.
Who is Eligible?
- CL&P and UI Customers
- Applicants must own a single or two-family home (includes condos and vacation homes); 3-4 family homes are eligible for this financing through participation in the Home Performance with Energy Star (HPwES) Program.
- Applicants must participate in the Home Energy Solutions ℠ Program (or call 877-WISE-USE (877-947-3873) to arrange a HES assessment for your home) or participate in the Home Performance with Energy Star® (HPwES) program. (NOTE: This is NOT required for "All Other Projects" at 4.49% -6.99%)
- Projects that are underway or completed will not qualify for financing. Please do not schedule your project until after you have received your loan documents from CHIF.
Click a link below for a listing of CHIF Approved Contractors:
Comprehensive Improvements/Equipment Replacement Qualifying as "Type 1"
Measures below are eligible for 0% or 2.99%; must install at least ONE "Type 1" measure, and at least TWO total eligible measures in order to qualify for $3,000 - $25,000 at 2.99%.
High Efficiency Insulation - Must conform to current Home Energy Solutions rebate requirements.
ENERGY STAR® Ductless Heat Pumps - Must meet the EnergizeCT Ductless Heat Pump rebate criteria.
ENERGY STAR® Electric Heat Pump Water Heaters - Energy Factor (EF) 2.0 or greater
ENERGY STAR® Tankless Natural Gas Hot Water Heaters - 0.82 Energy Factor (EF) or greater.
Indirect/Combination Water Heaters attached to a natuarl gas ENERGY STAR® boiler - 90% (AFUE) or greater.
All Other Improvements/Equipment Replacements ("Type 2" measures)
(4.49% for a 5 year term; 4.99% for a 7 year term; 5.99% for a 10 year term; 6.99% for a 12 year term if not combined with a "Type 1" measure)
ENERGY STAR® Central Air and Heat Pump Systems - New or replacement Central A/C, utilize Heating and Cooling System Rebates and complete HVAC pre-qualification checklist. Minimum rating of 14.5 SEER, 12 EER, 8.2 HSPF.ENERGY STAR® Natural Gas Furnaces and Boilers:
ENERGY STAR® Air to Air Heat Pump - New or replacement system - Minimum rating of 14.5 SEER, 12EER, 8.2 HSPF. Must complete HVAC pre-qualification checklist.
ENERGY STAR® Natural Gas Furnaces and Boilers:
- Furnaces (CEE TierII): 95% AFUE with air handler performance level of 2% or lower; replacement of operating system. Must complete HVAC pre-qualification checklist.
- Boilers 90% AFUE with temperature reset or purge control.
Windows - ENERGY STAR® replacement windows - must meet HES program eligibility and replacement criteria and is available only for the replacement of single pane windows.
ENERGY STAR® ductless heat pumps - (homes heated with oil, propane or natural gas)
Geothermal Systems (must meet 2012 ENERGY STAR® criteria) - Home must meet current HES program guidelines. http://www.ctenergyinfo.com/hes
Oil/Propane Heating Equipment - Propane furnaces: 95% AFUE with air handler performance level EAE of 2% or lower. Propane boilers: 90% AFUE with temperature reset or purge control. Oil furnaces and boilers must be ENERGY STAR® (86% AFUE). Furnaces must have an air handling performance level EAE of 2% or lower. Boilers must have temperature reset or purge control.
Improvements that have unproven savings (including fuel oil catalyst products, radiant barriers, and power correction devices) will not be financed.
* For more information on ENERGY STAR® please go to www.energystar.gov. HES and Residential Financing are low-cost initiatives supported by the Connecticut Energy Efficiency Fund.